Weighing The Benefits And Drawbacks Of Braces
Request An Appointment
Pros and Cons of Braces for Adults
During old times, we could see only kids and teenagers wearing those metal braces around their teeth. But now, more than 1.5 million orthodontists in the US have adult patients. There are many reasons why an adult would want to go for braces.
Some get them for cosmetic reasons, considering they missed out on the perks of having a straight smile as a teenager. For some, braces failed to benefit their smile as a child. However, most adults require them for medical reasons, such as crooked or overcrowded teeth, which easily accommodate bacteria and cause gum diseases with many other dental issues.
Questions About Weighing The Benefits And Drawbacks Of Braces ?
Pros of Braces:
- The most famous and major advantage of braces is that they can make your teeth look aligned and beautiful. They also provide comfort by aligning how your teeth touch each other.
- Another advantage of braces is the minimization of the occurrence of major dental problems. Misaligned teeth can make chewing and swallowing food harder with time. It can also trigger facial pain and allow bacteria growth due to the presence of hard-to-reach areas inside the mouth.
- Misaligned teeth are a ticking time bomb that requires diffusing at the right time. If crooked teeth are not fixed with braces. They can invite many dental troubles your way as time passes. So, getting braces at the right time saves you time, effort, and money.
- Everybody appreciates a straight smile. People with crooked or misaligned teeth feel less confident and avoid smiling in photos or laughing openly during social interactions. Braces, once they finish doing their job on your teeth, boost your self-esteem and provide you the confidence to laugh wholeheartedly without hesitation.
Cons of Braces:
- If you are an adult, noticeable metal braces can cause social discomfort. However, focusing more on the great outcomes straight teeth will grant you would be best. Doing so will keep you away from being discouraged.
- Braces can trap foods easier than your teeth do. Hence, brushing your teeth, gum line, and tongue can be challenging due to the hardware in your mouth. You can brush after every meal and before sleep to prevent bacteria from inflaming your gums.
- Braces are very beneficial for your dental well-being, but little do we know they can uncover various other underlying issues. While putting braces, your orthodontist can find a bone loss, or your jaw bone can be too stubborn to be aligned without surgery.
Everyone deserves a perfect smile, and such perfection comes at a price. Whatever we wish to achieve in life, nothing comes without challenges, so why not face another one for a straight and aligned Hollywood smile?
If you are now wondering who to trust for the treatment? Dr. Ash at Leander Orthodontics is the right person to help you. She is certified in clear aligner treatment with Invisalign, with several years of experience. Call us at (512) 260-5300 to schedule an appointment.