Braces or Invisalign for Aligned Results
Request An Appointment
Is Invisalign Better Than Braces?
To seek a correct answer for this, you need to develop a basic understanding of both of them. Braces and clear aligners both are FDA-approved devices and serve the same purpose so it can be tricky to figure out which one to pick. Clear aligners are barely visible on the wearer making them a popular choice among young adults who wish to straighten their teeth.
Traditional braces are metal wires tied around teeth’s ligaments to force them to align with their neighbor teeth. They are still widely in practice due to their ability to align badly crooked teeth. They are famous among teenagers and kids. Unlike, clear aligners they are not removable on your own. So, your age and the condition your teeth are in can tell which ones are better.
Questions About Braces or Invisalign for Aligned Results ?
Should I get Braces or Invisalign?
Time for an aligners vs braces discussion, let’s dig deeper into their benefits and drawbacks.
Pros of Clear Aligners
- The clear aligners are barely visible while they cover your teeth, making your appearance seem natural.
- Due to their removable nature, there’s no chance of plaque buildup and this protects your gums and teeth.
- Crafted to be softer and more convenient.
- In case you damage your clear aligner tray, you can replace it with a spare one, eliminating the need for an emergency visit to your orthodontist.
Cons of Clear Aligners
- Clear aligners require regular cleaning and care to prevent plaque accumulation.
- You need to be vigilant, and must not keep your clear aligners out for hours, if you do, your progress will be pushed back.
- They are useless against problems like impacted teeth.
- You can easily misplace them.
Pros of Braces
- You do not have to pay much attention besides maintaining regular oral hygiene. Once an orthodontist attaches them to your teeth, there’s nothing you can do on your own.
- Braces come with various band color choices, which are fun to choose.
- You cannot remove them as you please, so they cannot be misplaced.
- They are capable of treating complicated problems such as an impacted tooth.
Cons of Braces
- Braces are visible on your teeth, a potential downside for self-centered individuals.
- The process of braces placement can bring you discomfort.
- It is easy for food particles to get stuck under the metal wires of traditional braces.
- Some areas under the braces are hard to reach, which can result in plaque build-up and bacterial growth. Which can cause intense staining after the removal of braces.
- Chewing on hard and super sticky foods can bend or break metal wires. Such breakage can extend your treatment duration and cause discomfort.
There’s no treatment choice that is inherently the best for all individuals. The debate “Invisalign vs Braces” is a long one. They both have some benefits and drawbacks suiting the needs and wants of different patients.
Why not discuss your concerns with our expert orthodontist at Leander Orthodontics to make a better decision? Call us at (512) 260-5300 and schedule a consultation.